Monday, October 15, 2012

Fun & crazy nail art

Yay for my first Saw it, Pinned it, Made it post! I truly want this to be a regular series of some sort. I need to get moving on that! One of my favorite Pinterest boards has to do with fun make up, hair and nails. I think part of it is because Disney Look dictates all of the above- we have to have neutral/natural color hair, make up and nails every day at work. For this reason I tend to do a crazy nail color like blue or green, or color changing in the sun, wear more jewelry & get henna tattoos when I'm on vacation. While I was on maternity leave, I decided to try some of the designs I found on pinterest!

In June, I was a bridesmaid in my best friends wedding. Jill's colors were pink & green. We had green dresses & almost all the girls ended up with some shade of pink as our toe nail color. The pink I picked was a fun summer shade that reminded me of watermelons. After I got back to Florida, I redid the pink & went to work on my art project! I had pinned fingernails & toenails, but only did my own toes.  I wanted to start small.  I did green tips French manicure style. I then took a wooden cuticle tool & dotted black polish in a tear drop shape to make the seeds. I did 3 seeds per toe, not too many so it's crowded & not too few so you couldn't tell they were seeds. All in all, it didn't take too long to do, it wasn't that hard & I really liked how they turned out! I got a lot if complements on them too!
My watermelon toes! 
My next set of Pinterest inspired nails came in July. For July 4th actually! I decided to do some American flags, similar to some I had pinned. They started out easily enough, a nice base coat of red. I'm right handed, so anything I do on my left hand looks great, anything I do on my right hand looks like a 5 year old did it. I then took a small, thin paint brush to make the rest of it. The one I used had stiff bristles & I feel that they helped a lot in keeping my lines (mostly) straight! I used Making Memories blue (waterslide) acrylic paint for my star base. I made a small rectangle at the base of my nail. After that dried I used Making Memories white (spotlight) acrylic paint to make my stars and stripes! Since the bristles on my brush were already in a thin line it was pretty easy to make my stripes. I just used the corner of the brush to dot my stars. Like I said, the left hand turned out great, the right hand, not so much. I was happy to see that all the layers of paint and polish came off easily with regular polish remover too!
My supplies.
My flag nails!


Have you found any fun nail ideas on Pinterest and tried them out?  Please share if you have!  Pictures would be great too if you have any! 

1 comment: